Monday, May 17, 2004
Viva 2010!
It was a little before one in the afternoon on Sunday. I heard cheering and hooting (which is car honking here) and hollering and singing outside. I live right across the street from a huge res called Tugwell which consists of two twelve-story peach-colored cylindrical structures known affectionately by students as the "tampon towers". I thought maybe there was another rugby game going on. The weekend before, Tugwell was the debaucherous departure site for busses to the inter-varsity rugby game between the U.C.T. ikeys(blue tigers) and the University of Stellenbosch Maties (maybe birds, spoons, shoelaces, I forget). For the first time in fifteen years, U.C.T. was victorious.
It turns out that Sunday's noise was the spontaneous celebration of South Africa having won the bid for the 2010 World Cup. Announcements were made on the library loudspeakers and the mood was one of revelry. People classified as all different things under apartheid are all thrilled at the prospects for South Africa between now and 2010. The event will do great things for the economy, for foreign investment and the creation of jobs. It is a matter of collective national pride for a country with a close past of division and a lot of fences still standing. I plan to be here for the festivities and would be honored to have all of you join me.
It was a little before one in the afternoon on Sunday. I heard cheering and hooting (which is car honking here) and hollering and singing outside. I live right across the street from a huge res called Tugwell which consists of two twelve-story peach-colored cylindrical structures known affectionately by students as the "tampon towers". I thought maybe there was another rugby game going on. The weekend before, Tugwell was the debaucherous departure site for busses to the inter-varsity rugby game between the U.C.T. ikeys(blue tigers) and the University of Stellenbosch Maties (maybe birds, spoons, shoelaces, I forget). For the first time in fifteen years, U.C.T. was victorious.
It turns out that Sunday's noise was the spontaneous celebration of South Africa having won the bid for the 2010 World Cup. Announcements were made on the library loudspeakers and the mood was one of revelry. People classified as all different things under apartheid are all thrilled at the prospects for South Africa between now and 2010. The event will do great things for the economy, for foreign investment and the creation of jobs. It is a matter of collective national pride for a country with a close past of division and a lot of fences still standing. I plan to be here for the festivities and would be honored to have all of you join me.
Comments:
Post a Comment
